Check the status of your refund here. You will need your Social Security number, filing status and exact refund amount. The IRS website updates every 24 hours. You can also call the IRS Refund Hotline at 1-(800) 829-1954 and follow the automated prompts. If more than 21 days have passed and you have not received your refund, call the IRS general helpline at (800) 829-1040. ABDC does not have information regarding the status of your refund and is unable to contact the IRS on your behalf.

The IRS issued two stimulus checks in 2020 and one in 2021. If you didn’t receive your stimulus checks, you must file your 2020 and 2021 tax returns to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit.

Having a refund or an amount due is dependent on taxable income, federal withholdings and credits. For a more detailed explanation based on your tax return, please contact ABDC and a tax preparer can go over your information with you.

VTLP plans to travel again in 2023! The travel schedule is to be determined, subject to change.

ABDC has provided assistance to rural taxpayers since 1995 and is accustomed to working remotely with village residents with limited connectivity. ABDC is able to provide tax preparation services, copies of prior year tax returns, amended return preparation and assistance with IRS notices.

ABDC’s tax preparers are volunteers who have been trained in current year tax return preparation. Preparers are certified by the IRS and have received additional training in the specific requirements of rural Alaskan taxpayers.

ABDC’s primary focus is on Rural Alaskan taxpayers. To inquire about your eligibility, contact ABDC directly at (907) 562-0335 or frontdesk@abdc.org.

If you meet one of the following conditions, ABDC may be able to provide assistance.

1. ABDC prepared your return last year

2. You participated in the Tribally Sponsored Health Insurance Program (TSHIP)

3. You live in a village located in one of our partner regions, which includes the following: Aleut Corporation – Arctic Slope Region Corporation – Bristol Bay Native Association – Calista – Copper River Native Association – Doyon, Ltd – Koniag

ABDC can only prepare tax returns that are within the scope of the IRS VITA program. Most individuals fall within the scope, but certain tax returns should be completed by a paid preparer. If you have high income, expenses or a complicated return, a paid tax preparer might better serve you. For additional questions in regards to the scope of tax returns prepared, please call ABDC at (907) 562-0335.

Follow the Instructions document for items needed and how to submit information. Send complete packets only. DO NOT send in original tax documents. Send in copies of identification and documents.

Required tax documents:

– All tax documents you received. Examples: Form W-2s, 1099-MISC, 1099-DIV, SSA-1099s, 1099-G, etc. You must have a Form W-2 for each job you held during the tax year.

– Your photo ID.

– A copy of Social Security cards for yourself and each person included on your tax return.

You are required to report all income unless specifically excluded, even if you did not receive a form identifying the income.

Required forms: Please see the Tax Forms for what forms are required.

You can submit your paperwork to ABDC via mail, email or fax. You can see the Instructions sheet with more information.

Email: frontdesk@abdc.org

Fax: (907)-562-6988 OR (866)-747-5801

Mail: Alaska Business Development Center Attn: ABDC VITA SITE 840 K St, Suite 202 Anchorage, AK 99501

ABDC will contact you to complete an intake interview. After the return is complete, ABDC will contact you to review the return with you, send you a copy and collect signatures to authorize e-filing.

NOTE: Tax returns cannot be e-filed until ABDC receives a Form 8879 signed by the taxpayer and, if applicable, the spouse.

If ABDC prepared your tax return, a copy may be available upon request. Contact the office at (907) 562-0335. You will need to complete an Authorization to Release Information form. The completed form, along with a legible copy of your identification, can be faxed to the Anchorage office at (907) 562-6988.

NOTE: ABDC is not able to release tax returns to a third party without the taxpayer’s authorization.

If ABDC did not prepare your return, you should contact the preparer or the IRS directly. You can contact the IRS either by phone at (800) 829-1040 and follow the prompts, or by visiting the IRS website.

If you are unable to pay the IRS in full, the following options are available: Short-Term Extension: If you can pay the balance due within four (4) months, you may qualify for a short-term extension. A short-term extension of time to pay will generally result in lower penalties and interest than if a monthly installment plan were set up. You can request a short-term extension by visiting the Online Payment Agreement Application website or by calling the IRS at (800) 829-1040. Installment Plan: The IRS may accept monthly payments. You can do this by requesting an installment plan. There is an application fee for an installment request. If you set up an online payment agreement and make your payments by direct debit the fee is $31. If you don’t set up an online payment agreement but make your payment by direct debit the fee is $107. If you set up an online payment agreement but don’t make your payments by direct debit the fee is $130. If you don’t set up an online payment agreement and don’t make your payments by direct debit the fee is $225. You may qualify to pay a reduced fee of $43 if your income is below a certain level. The IRS will let you know whether you qualify for a reduced fee. In addition to the above fees, you will pay interest and penalties on any outstanding tax due. You can request an Installment Agreement online with the IRS if the total debt is less than $25,000 by following this link to the IRS website. Other options for requesting an Installment Agreement include filing Form 9465 with your tax return or by calling the IRS at (800) 829- 1040. Pay by Credit Card: You can pay by credit card on the IRS’ website here.

Yes! You may avoid a failure-to-file penalty by filing a return, even if you are unable to pay the balance due.

You may be able to claim your grandchildren, niece, nephew or significant other if certain conditions are met; IRS dependent laws are complex. Consult your tax preparer or visit the IRS website for more details.

Always respond to requests for information and notices from the IRS. All IRS letters have a phone number to call. If you do not know what the letter is requesting or what it is about, call the number and ask questions. The IRS responds best to taxpayers who do not ignore requests for information. ABDC has a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic that may be able to provide assistance with IRS notices to qualifying individuals.

ABDC may be able to assist you in filing your prior year returns. Please call (907) 562-0335 for more information.

ABDC works with various sponsors to provide current year tax preparation services to rural Alaskan communities. Generally, sponsors determine which communities’ services are provided to. Contact your native corporation, village council or CDQ and ask if they are interested in sponsoring tax related services in your community with ABDC. If they are interested, they may contact the Anchorage office at (907) 562-0335.